COVID-19: Revision of Entry Requirement for Foreign Travellers to Cambodia
On 4 August 2020, the Ministry of Health of Cambodia (“MOH”) officially announced a revision to entry requirements for foreign nationals travelling into the Kingdom of Cambodia (the “Announcement”). From 4 August 2020 onwards, The Royal Government of Cambodia (“RGC”) will implement a Sponsorship Mechanism to assist all travellers who are investor-business persons, company staffs, experts, skilled workers, technicians, and their family (collectively known as “Foreign Travellers”) in order to contain the transmission of COVID-19 in the country.
The Announcement now classifies foreign nationals arriving in Cambodia into three categories:
- Foreign Travellers who are sponsored;
- Foreign Travellers who are invited but not sponsored; or
- Investors or foreign travellers who are not sponsored or invited.
The Announcement also provides detailed procedures and requirements for each categories of foreign nationals above as follows:
- Foreign Travellers who are sponsored and Foreign Travellers who are not sponsored, but invited:
Before arriving in Cambodia, these Foreign Travellers are required to have:
- Medical Certificate from their home country’s authorities (tested negative for 72 hours before departure);
- Documents guaranteeing the cover of treatment expenses:
- Foreign Travellers who are sponsored: must possess Validation Certificate on payment guarantee (issued and approved by RGC).
- Foreign Travellers who are not sponsored but invited: must possess the following documents:
- Valid Certificate of Invitation (issued by RGC); and
- Letter proving the purchase of health insurance for COVID-19 treatment;
- Valid entry visa;
- Letters or documents confirming hotel reservation. These Travellers have two choices of accommodation: (1) Sokha Hotel Phnom Penh, and (2) TIAN YI International Hotel.
NOTE: Where the actual expenditure for the stay in the hotel, COVID-19 test fees and transportation cost are less than the required amount in the Announcement, the hotel will refund the Foreign Traveller the remaining amount.
Upon arrival at any International Airports in Cambodia:
- these Travellers shall present all the required documents above;
- after formality checks, such Travellers may use the Special Priority Lane to receive a COVID-19 test upon arrival before being transported to the reserved hotels to await for the results of the test.
- where any of the Travellers must be quarantined for 14 days, the Sponsor shall be responsible for all expenses including hotel expenses and subsequent test fees.
- in case the Traveller contracts COVID-19 during their stay, the sponsor shall cover all medical expenses for the treatment of the Traveller until he/she fully recovers.
NOTE: The sponsor shall be responsible for all legal consequences flowing from sponsorship and fully cooperate with the MOH in facilitating the travels of the invited and sponsored Traveller.
- Investors or foreign travellers who are neither sponsored nor invited and other travellers who are planning to travel to Cambodia shall:
- comply with MOH Announcement No. 564 on Pricing Policy for Foreign Travelers Entering Cambodia Receiving COVID-19 Test, Quarantine, and Treatment Services at Public Hospitals dated 11 June 2020.
- deposit USD2,000 upon arrival for use in setting off COVID-19 test fees, transportation, and any other expenses to be incurred while waiting for the COVID-19 test results upon arrival or in the event that the Traveller is tested positive for COVID-19 and needs to be quarantined for 14 days.
- purchase a health insurance package for COVID-19 treatment which costs USD90 and is valid for 20 days. This insurance package can be purchased from FORTE Insurance Company that can be reached through: https://www.forteinsurance.com/covid-19-insurance/.
- All Travellers in sections (1) and (2) above who have entered Cambodia shall be tested for COVID-19 in accordance with the prevailing health guidelines at local public health centres.
This alert is for general information only and is not a substitute for legal advice.