ASEAN Post Ministerial Conference (PMC) 10 + 1 Session with the EU01 August 2019, Bangkok
Intervention by H.E. Dr. Sok Siphana
Sr. Advisor to the Royal Government of Cambodia
Agenda Item 3 and 4:
“Review of ASEAN-EU Cooperation and Its Future Direction” and
“Exchange of Views on Regional and International Issues”
Excellencies, Dear Colleagues,
1. I thank you, Excellency Co-Chair, for giving me the floor. Let me also extend my greetings to Her Excellency Madame Federica MOGHERINI, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission.
2. Allow me to add a few comments in addition to the ASEAN Common Statement. First of all, Cambodia extends its congratulations to the European people on the successful European Elections and the formation of a new administration. We appreciate Your Excellency for your dedication and commitment over the past five years to uplift the ASEAN-EU relations to where we are now: a new height.
3. Cambodia values the EU’s continued support for ASEAN Community building 2025, particularly through the implementation of projects under the IAI Work Plan III (2016-2020). Economic integration remains an important priority of Cambodia, and so is trade. We are of the firm view that the rise of protectionism and anti-globalization run counter the multilateral trading system.
4. As a small economy, Cambodia believes in the world having an effective multilateralism and that is why we commit to take a pro-active role in shaping its architecture. We are pleased to announce that Cambodia will be the proud host of the next ASEM Summit in 2020.
5. Along this line, a comprehensive ASEAN-EU Free Trade Agreement (FTA) is essential to expand the critical consumer mass and market access, increase mutual benefits, so it can lead to an inclusive growth and development for both regions. Cambodia welcomes the progress made by the Joint Working Group in developing a framework setting up the parameters of such FTA. Cambodia is pleased to provide its support the ASEAN-EU FTA negotiations.